Chica de Mazarrón on Tour - Vamos a comer

 

This is a restaurant, and more specifically waitress, that I feel deserves a very special mention from my travels in Altea.

On Saturday evening, having looked at several restaurants and menus along the paseo we decided to eat at the lovely Vamos a comer, with it's stunning sea views and what a great decision that was.

On the bustling paseo this little restaurant has a comfortable, well laid out terrace which over looks the sea and has a beautifully lit evening ambiance.


With a vast menu choice, awesome selection of cocktails, wines and beers this is a great spot for dinner or drinks at any time of the day or night.

We decided to have starters, mains and deserts in different places this evening and Vamos a comer was our choice of mains. We had mussels and fish and chips and were not left disappointed.  The food was very reasonably priced, exceptional quality and the portion sizes were perfect.

At the best of times my friend and I are not the easiest of diners with one of us requiring a gluten free diet and the other a lactose free one.  What happened next was totally my fault and I honestly can not praise the waitress enough for handling my mistake and ensuring our evening didn't end in a hungry disaster. 

Upon ordering our food my friend asked about the mussels being gluten free and the waitress replied that yes indeed there were, as they were steamed in wine.  This however was where I made a major error in assuming that as they were steamed in wine they would in fact be dairy free also but what I didn't ask was if they came with any additional sauce, in particular cream. 

When the mussels were brought out to the table that horrendous sinking feeling, as I realised my mistake, crept in and I had the embarrassing moment of having to admit my mistake to the poor waitress and ask her to find a solution.  I did offer to pay for the dish that I sent back, as it was after all my mistake for not clarifying the situation properly but she would not accept my offer to pay for it and took my dish back to the kitchen to have the chef prepare a dairy free version for me. 

My mistake rectified we were three very content diners and, despite my pangs of guilt for my mistake, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. 

On leaving the restaurant we again offered to pay for the wasted dish but the waitress again refused our offer.  My friends and I decided the only way to leave with a full tummy and a clear conscience, was to in fact leave the price of the meal and of course a little extra as our tip - something the waitress was incredibly grateful for but still tried to refuse. 

So all in all, to sum up our experience.... we had fab food, no trip to hospital, full tummies, an evening with a beautiful view and atmosphere and a very accommodating waitress with a kind and imperturbable nature. 

I did not catch the waitresses name but thank you! We had a wonderful evening and we will be back!

Un saludo

Chica de Mazarrón xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reeves Butchers - The English Butcher in Mazarrón

THE COSTA CALIDA - The Warm Coast

Bar Review - Tel's Bar, Camposol